Friday, June 17, 2005

what Costco is NOT good for

I heart Costco. I think it's one of the coolest places to go shopping. Where else can you get 46 ounces of salsa in a two pack, paper towels to last you a millennium and a mattress pad all at the same time? But I have to draw the line somewhere. Alex went to Costco on Monday without me and got some good stuff, but mixed in with that good stuff was a multi-pack of Pringles. That's six giant cans of Pringles joined together by a mess of shrink wrap. I think Alex might love Pringles more than I love Costco. I don't love Pringles, but they are a snack food so I'll eat them if they're around. Pringles are weird though, they aren't potato chips, they're potato crisps, which to me taste like someone made a bunch of instant potatoes, formed them into these wafer things, baked them up and slid them into a can. And I think that getting chips from a can is wrong, but not as wrong as getting Cheetos or Funyuns from a can. (Note to society - please stop trying to drink or inhale your solids, there are plenty of snacks for everyone, no need to rush.) But my big problem with Pringles is that there's nothing easier than opening the pantry door, grabbing a tube of chips and ripping off that plastic lid. What could be more satisfying and take less effort than getting home from long commute and shoving a bunch of Pringles in your face?

Alex bought this massive quantity of potato crisps on Monday, it's now Friday morning and there are only three cans left. This can't be good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...Pringles are odd. I can't say I've ever actually BOUGHT them before. Usually they're over at a friend's house or being used as a shoe horn or something.

I dunno, I usually like my chips GREASY. They always show their chips NOT being that way and I'm like, "But that's what potato chips are supposed to be like!"

I'll still take Pringles over any of those BAKED chips. I have a feeling the geniuses behind that amazing idea were thinking, "Let's see if people will eat cardboard with salt on it?!"