Monday, November 14, 2005

winding down from moving

and getting ready for a trip to Mexico.

There are still plenty of unpacked boxes in the apartment, but we've run out of steam and that's what the guest room is for anyways (now that my mom is gone). I can't locate any tape, envelopes and some of my CDs, but I'm able to sleep at night, so everything is okay in my book.

The move was not fun at all. Hiring movers was a good idea. Hiring the movers that we used was a bad idea. First of all they gave us a window of 4 hours for their arrival time, right then we should have known it was going to be bad. The next clue came when they couldn't find our apartment and Alex had to run around the University Village listening for truck sounds to track them down. As they were parking the truck Alex came back in and said "I think there are more wheels on the truck than teeth in the movers" and he was close to correct. Three guys moved all our stuff - Melvin, the driver and man in charge of the Nextel had the least amount of teeth, but always had a smile on his face. Reggie was a younger guy with scar that ran from the bottom of his jaw to the nape of his neck and a positive attitude (because he wanted to finish in time to listen to the Raiders game). Sunday, or Sun as the other members of the crew called him, was an older and somewhat bitter man who wore a thick gold chain. It only took them an hour to get everything out of our old apartment, but it took them about 4 hours to move it into the new one. I think some of it had to do with the fact that we are now on the 19th floor and the elevators aren't very fast, but a lot of it was probably because of the weed they smoked on their break. I wasn't aware of the break-time activities until I had to sign the paperwork, but I can tell you that they didn't smell like coffee. Everything made it up here in one piece, and only a few things were scratched and dented, so all it all it wasn't that bad. But I did learn that when my momma said "you get what you pay for" she was right.

We did a pretty good job of throwing the place into order before my mom came for her visit. Having a house guest stay with you right after you move is a powerful motivating force. The down side to that is that we put everything away so quickly I'm having some trouble finding things now and I'm pretty sure that I didn't chose the right cabinets for things in the kitchen in terms of efficiency. I would change it, but I'm really, really lazy.

Now that we've enjoyed our apartment for a month, Alex and I head off to Mexico in a few days for a wedding and a vacation all rolled up into one 9 day extravaganza. I'm very excited to be leaving for a little while because I have to stop obsessing about boxes I have no intention of unpacking. I tried to train the cats to put things away but Ollie is still a kitten and Zach keeps playing up his whole cancer and diabetes thing. That cat will do anything to get out of work.

No comments: