Thursday, August 04, 2005

to fill our lives with love

Every once in a while a candy break is necessary 'round these parts. Today Sean and I took a walk to the company subsidized vending machine on our way to visit Greg in the sound studio. The vending machines here are a little magical... M&M's are only 35 cents! It makes the trip to the lunch room worth it. The problem is that sometimes the magic gets stuck right in the dispensing coil and you either have to shake the machine or buy another pack to get to your original M&M purchase. Since I'm pretty short and weak I always opt for the purchase of second bag to force the first bag out. Not only would I look like an idiot trying to shake a vending machine three times larger than myself, but let's face it, I would never be able to get the candy out, or even worse, die trying. So Sean and I ended up with two bags of peanut M&M's. I thought that was good, because there were two of us, so now we each had a bag of our own. However, this brought grief to Sean, as he does not like to snack on unhealthy foods, but knowing there were so many M&M's at his disposal he would probably partake. He said he would have two. Or five. Maybe seven. Then I was reminded of a time when I was little and my sister and I were asking my mother what a few meant. I'm not sure why we were having this conversation with my mother, but for whatever reason, I recall she was quite annoyed that her own children should even have to ask what "a few" meant. She turned to us, rather flustered, and spat out "a few means three to seven!" To which my sister and I inquired, "Does that mean if it's peas we only have to eat three, but if it's candy we can eat seven?"
I do not remember her answer.
I told Sean and Greg about the conversation with my mother which led someone to say "If seven is a few, is eight too many?" And as we all know, eight is not too many, Eight Is Enough. Sadly, I will admit that Sean and I burst into the classic theme song.

I'm not sure if you remember the opening to that show, so allow me to share these tear-jerking lyrics and let yourself to take a trip down memory lane... back to a time when TV shows came complete with passionate theme songs, just like this:
There's a magic in the early morning we found,
When the sun rise smiles on everything around.
It's a portrait of the happiness that we feel and always will,
For eight is enough to fill our lives with love.

Oh we spend our days like bright and shiny new dimes.
If we're ever puzzled by the changing times.
There's a plate of homemade wishes on the kitchen window sill,
And eight is enough to fill our lives with love.

3 comments:

Travis said...

...what the hell were in those M&M's?!

Anonymous said...

well, i came to say that I not only remember mom saying that, but I think of it often. sad to say, but todd and i actually have had several disagreements about the legitimacy of mom's definition of a few. (i think it was somehow embedded into my cells and i must stand by the 'truth' of this statement, no matter what my logical mind is telling me.)
But then because of observant R.M. and his comment, i had to go back and look at what I just learned is a "blog tag". crazy cat lady indeed....but i will miss the last one - i liked it. (Did I mention i don't like change?)
-your loving sister

PS have you seen Willie Ames on Celebrity Fit Club?

Dee said...

I just had a similar conversation with the kids the other day (which is three to seven days ago)Connor seems to use it to his advantage a lot (which is three to seven times a day)!