Friday, July 23, 2004

urban challenge (and coffee)

Last Saturday Greg and Dave participated in the San Francisco Urban Challenge.

Britt, Chris and I were the support staff, which meant I got to sit at home in my jammies and drink three pints of coffee while Googling things and sending text messages to Greg and Dave who were running and sweating all over San Francisco. Chris was a mad dog and our leader. He was in charge of all things internet, things that are beyond my comprehension.

Even though Greg and Dave were the last team to start the race (due to an unwieldy #2 pencil let loose on a scantron form) they came in 4th and they're going to Miami in November. If you check out the "results" part of the website, Greg and Dave are Team 4, but their pic is showing up in the team 3 slot. The other weird thing about the website is that they only have 3 checkpoints up there, but there were actually 12.

Here are some things I learned while fulfilling my duties as a Google girl:

* Peekskill was not a fake city where the Facts of Life took place. There's a real city in New York called Peekskill and it got it's name from the Dutch explorer Jan Peek.

* It's hard to type, drink coffee and answer the phone all at once.

* Horse in Spanish is caballo.

* There are tons of websites dedicated to palindromes.

* My favorite palindrome is: Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog

* I will never understand how to solve a magic square math puzzle. ever.

* Chris Chan is like a frickin human computer.

* In 1962 a dude named Melvin Belli (a lawyer kind of dude) sued the San Francisco Giants on the grounds that his box seat at Candlestick Park was too cold. And he won.

* Greg's "I'm concentrating while taking this picture" look is very consistent. See?





No comments: