Wednesday, April 21, 2004

bathroom behavior

Let me start by saying: The Mystery of Irma Vep at Berkeley Rep - if you're in the Bay Area, a must see.
And I'm not just saying that because I used to work there.

Today I had to wonder what was up with the ladies room at work. It was like a lounge in there. Occasionally there's a conversation by the sink, which in my book is acceptable, but loitering in there is not okay.
I drink a lot of water, so I can really rack up the visits, and I have my favorite stall. Now I don't get bent out of shape when I can't get in there, but it does bug me when over the din of pee and toilet paper unraveling I am forced to listen to women in the stalls on either side of me chatting it up about driving their kids to sporting events. It's just not right. I can't explain it, but I somehow felt violated. Trapped in a stall subjected to minivan discourse. Perhaps I'm being prudish, but I just don't find a public restroom in the workplace to be the best place to shoot the breeze.
Later in the day I came across two women who seemed to be exchanging recipes right outside the stalls. I thought that my entrance may have some effect on the location of the conversation, but they remained right outside of the stalls, exchanging items from their purses, giggling and writing things down. The worst part is the obligatory greeting, and if the conversation is long enough, goodbye wave. Maybe it wouldn't bother me if I didn't actually know who these people were, but I see them everyday in the lunchroom, the parking lot, the stairwell. And I know that everyone needs to use the bathroom, so I'm not ashamed... I'm just looking for a peaceful pee.